Water creates a specific noise when it leaks through burst pipes. This is what acoustic leak detectors look for when locating a leaky pipe. Water leaks produce high-frequency to low-frequency noise that can easily be picked up by acoustic detectors. Some of the common signs of burst pipes are:
- – Unusually wet areas inside and out of the house like puddles (big or small)
- – A sudden drop in water pressure
- – A big spike in your water bills
- – Watermarks on your walls and floors
Water leak sounds vary depending on the following factors:
- – The severity of the leak or damage to the pipe
- – Location of the pipe
- – Water pressure
- – Pipe installation or construction
- – Depth of the pipe location
- – Soil type
- – Surface cover
How do Acoustic Detectors Work?
Acoustic detectors are made of the following components:
- – Headphones
- – Microphone
- – Electronic monitor
- – Acoustic listening stick
Acoustic detectors work by connecting a stopper to the suspected damaged pipe. The stopper will then open and close the valve to create a rhythmic pulsation that will then be picked up by an acoustic listening stick. The microphone of the detector is then placed directly above the buried pipes to listen for the sound of the leak(s). Wherever the sound is the loudest, that is where the leak is located.
Why is it Recommended?
The use of acoustic leak detectors is highly recommended because it eliminates the need to dig out the ground or remove any structures just to check the pipes physically. This takes a lot of effort and requires repairs and replacements afterwards. Physically locating leaks takes time and is done through trial and error. Using acoustic detectors eliminates the hassles of inspecting and checking the lines physically. This saves you time and money. It is also environmentally friendly because there is no need to dig up and damage the surroundings. Acoustic leak detection is cost-effective and efficient. It cuts the work time in half, maybe even more. It is one of the most effective ways to spot and locate a water leak.
Advantages of Acoustic Leak Detection
- – It saves you time and effort.
- – It eliminates the need to remove concrete or dig up the ground.
- – It is cost-effective.
- – Acoustic leak detectors are very accurate.
- – It does not cause any damage to property.
- – It allows homeowners to have the problem fixed immediately.
Finding the exact location is the first step in solving the leak problem. Fixing it is another thing. Now that you have pinpointed the exact location of the leak here is what you need to do next:
- – Turn off the water supply. Stop wasting water and as well as a hefty water bill.
- – Call your plumber immediately!
In cases when your plumber can not get to the location fast enough, do a first aid application to the leak to avoid further damage. Here is how:
- 1. Turn off the water supply.
- 2. If you can get to the pipe, empty it so it is ready for fixing when the plumber gets there.
- 3. Let the damaged area dry. You cannot seal the leak if the area is all wet.
- 4. Seal the leak using an epoxy, a piece of a garden hose, waterproof tape and a metal clamp. Remember, this is just a quick fix until your plumber can do the real work and fix the problem permanently.
- 5. Turn the water back on to see if you have fixed the problem temporarily.
Read more about how to turn your water off during emergencies here: https://www.waterleakdetection.net.au/blog/how-to-turn-your-water-off-during-emergencies/
Again, this is just a temporary fix. If possible, just turn off the water supply and wait for the professionals to arrive. Plumbing works can be complicated and will require expert knowledge and skill. If you do not have enough know-how, do not attempt a DIY solution. For any water leak detection needs, Water Leak Detection is available in Melbourne and the surrounding suburbs. We offer acoustic leak detection as well as a wide range of solutions for all your leaks. Please call us today on 1300 425 325.