Do you fancy yourself a plumbing DIYer? Plumbing is complex and more often than not, a plumbing emergency happens when you can’t really call someone or you have to pay through your nose to engage the services of an emergency plumber.
Also, there usually isn’t enough time when there is water leaking everywhere to call someone. However, if you are used to taking care of a majority of the plumbing jobs in your home, it is important for you to understand certain basics to avoid some of the most common DIY plumbing mistakes. In this blog post, we will explore the common plumbing mistakes made by DIYers and when it is the right time for you to call the experts.
DIY Plumbing Mistakes to Avoid
Here’s a list of some of the most common DIY plumbing mistakes you should avoid:
- Do not over-tighten connections.
- Learn to use thread tape in the right direction and always use the right tape for the job.
- Do not use the drain cleaner as the first option when cleaning a clogged drain.
- Always keep spare parts handy whenever you are taking on a DIY plumbing job.
- This one might sound funny but it happens more often than you would imagine. Many people simply forget to turn off the water before starting a plumbing job. Don’t do that!
- Do not put too much pressure on a stuck valve as you might end up breaking it.
- Make sure you always have the right tools for the job.
- You should know which parts to use in which place. Some parts might look interchangeable but they are not.
- Everything has a limit. If you do not have the right equipment or the training to take on a certain job, do not shy away from calling on professionals to do the job right the first time. If you don’t do it right, you will eventually end up calling someone and that will cost you a lot more money than necessary.
- If you have a gas leakage, do not try to do anything on your own. Just turn off the supply valve and get help immediately. It is dangerous to deal with gas leaks on your own if you do not have the necessary training and tools.
How Do You Know If Something Is Wrong with Plumbing?
Sometimes, the signs of a plumbing problem are there but you don’t notice them if you’re not paying attention. Here is a list of some of the common signs of bad plumbing:
- Odd sounds emanating from pipes or faucets
- Less than expected water pressure
- Bad odour from the drains
- Clogged drains that do not clean as quickly as they should
- Stains appearing on walls out of nowhere
- Discolouration of pipes
- Higher-than-expected water bills
- Bubbling wall paint or ceiling
- Sudden appearance of green patches in the yard
If your sink is draining slower than expected or you are unable to get proper water pressure in the faucets, it simply means that there is a problem with the plumbing. Similarly, if you notice bad smells emanating from the drains, it also tells that there is a problem with the plumbing and you should call the professionals.
One of the most tell-tale signs of plumbing problems is bubbling walls and ceilings or stains appearing on walls. Also, if you have a yard and there are green patches in some parts, it means that something is providing nutrition to that green patch and that can only be due to sewer leakage in the system.
When to Call the Experts?
Everybody loves to DIY. There are some problems that can be fixed on your own but there are times when you should call a professional. If you have a leakage and you delay calling a professional, you might end up in knee-deep water due to an overflowing sink or an overflowing toilet or some other reason.
Here are a few signs when you should call a professional plumber:
- There is no water
- There is sweat on the water heater
- There is low water pressure
- You are unable to get water out of the drains
- The toilet is overflowing
In short, you should call a professional if you do not have the necessary tools, replacement parts and knowledge to take care of a plumbing job. Do not ignore a plumbing issue even if it seems too small as it could quickly turn into a massive problem.
DIY plumbing is great when it works but more often than not, individuals don’t have the tools, training and knowledge to take care of complex plumbing jobs. Trying to fix plumbing without the required knowledge is a risky proposition.
This is why you should immediately call a plumbing expert if you feel that a plumbing task is beyond you. Do not make the mistake of waiting for too long as ignoring plumbing issues could quickly turn into an expensive lesson.
Hire Professional Water Leak Detection Experts
Water Leak Detection is experts with decades of experience in tracking down leaks in pipes behind walls or under floors. Our team have access to the latest tools and technology to detect and fix leaks before it turns into something extremely serious.
If you suspect you have a water leak, please call us at Water Leak Detection for a free consultation today on 1300 425 325 or leave an inquiry.